Email services have undoubtedly become one of the main modern tools for daily use, since through them it is possible to optimize the communication process by converting it into an immediate process. For that reason it is necessary to learn all the characteristics of these services, as it is change the password of an email account.
Today there is a wide range of email services to choose from on the web, where even temporary email services are available to send an anonymous email. Although generally the most used platforms are usually Gmail and Outlookso with this article we will concentrate on how to change the password on such services.
When should I change the email password?
Considering that we are currently in a fully digitized era where most of the daily processes can be done on the web, changing the password of your email account frequently is a must for maintain the security of your personal and work datathat is, to prevent a cyber attack.
Since cyber attacks are more common every day and these can cause both personal and economic damage with the theft of information. For that reason, It is recommended to change the email password every 3 months and not share it or write it down anywhere to reinforce the security of your personal information in the mail.
With this in mind, below we will share some security recommendations for you. generate strong passwords that protect the privacy of your mail.
- Create a password for a minimum of 15 characters that contain letters, numbers and special symbols, as well as upper and lower case letters.
- Do not use any kind of personal information in the password such as addresses, names, dates of birth, or anniversary dates.
- Enable the two-step verification on the email service you’re using to add an extra layer of security to your account.
- Use a password manager like Kaspersky Password Manager to generate a strong, unique and complex password that is securely stored by the platform.
How to update my email password?
Depending on the email service you are using, you can easily update your password through the internal configuration within the platformespecially when it comes to Gmail and Outlook who make the process simple to make life easier for their users by speeding up the process.
You can update your password Gmail mail on Windows for security reasons through the following indications:
- Open your Google account using the default browser and log in if you haven’t already.
- Click on the “Security” option and then select the section of “Sign in to Google”check the “Password” option and log in again.
- Now enter the new password following the instructions previously explained to make it secure, select “Change Password” and ends the process.
In Outlook the process of update password It is similar and just as simple as registering for Microsoft Office 365 Outlook email, you just have to follow the steps below and in a few minutes you will be able to update your email password.
- Sign in to your Outlook account and go to Microsoft account securitywithin this window select the option “Security with password”.
- To protect your personal information, Outlook will request a security code which will be sent to the email or phone number.
- Write the security code once you receive it and finally enter the current password, the new password and click “Save”.
While to update the password of an account Gmail email on MacOS The process is different but just as easy.
- Open the Gmail app on your macOS device and click on your profile picture located on the right hand side at the top of the screen.
- Select the option of “Manage your Google account” and at the top of the menu click on “Personal information”.
- Enter the section of Profile > Password and enter the new password, finish the process by pressing the “Change password” button.
On the other hand, to update the password of your Outlook email on macOS You must first set up your account on the device and follow the instructions below:
- Open your preferred browser and Sign in to the Outlook web page to log in to your personal account.
- Click on it settings icon located on the right hand side in the upper corner and select the “Mail Settings” option.
- In the next configuration menu click on Account details > Password and security and click on “Change password” to create a new one.
From the mobile App
Updating your Gmail email password through the mobile app is the most used method because it has become a daily use device in recent years with the computer revolution.
- Open the Gmail application on your mobile and enter the section of Device settings > Google > Manage your Google account.
- In the next configuration menu, select the option at the top of the screen. Security > Sign in to Google > Password.
- Log back into your account and enter the new password. To finish the process you just have to click on “Change password”.
To change your password Outlook email via mobile app you must have access to the alternate email or phone number affiliated with the account.
- Log in to your Outlook account, click on your profile picture and in the drop-down menu of options select “See account”.
- then click on More actions > Change password and to continue you must enter the alternative email or phone number affiliated with the account to receive the security code.
- Enter the received code and click “Check”to finish the process you must enter your current password, your new password, confirm and save so that it is updated.
What to do if I have forgotten the email password?
If you follow the instructions explained previously to create a complex and secure password, it may happen that you forget it because you do not have it written down anywhere. This is something common that has happened to all of us, so don’t panic because Gmail and Outlook have the option to recover your password in given case.
For Gmail you simply have to enter the control panel google account recovery and answer all security questions to confirm that you are the owner of the account. Once you answer these questions you will have the option to reset the password available where you must make sure not to enter one that you have already used before.
On the other hand, in Outlook you only have to select “Forgot password?”verify your identity by answering the security questions to obtain the verification code that will be sent to the alternative email or phone number in order to reset the password with a new one.